Friday, September 26, 2008

Inspiration


The passing of Gary Gygax got me reminiscing about role-playing games of old. After playing a few sessions of Basic Dungeons and Dragons for old time’s sake, my mind turned towards the game that most held my attention for 20 years of my gaming life – Hero Games’ Champions. Two things struck me: 1) I missed the HERO System. 2) I missed the Champions Universe. Thinking about the latter, it occurred to me that nobody in our group but me (and maybe my good friend Mike) would miss the Champions Universe. The foundation of this world, which is as detailed and rich as those produced by Marvel and DC, was slowly pieced together as Hero Games released supplements for Champions. Having grown up with the game, I encountered the universe as it was being developed and played in it extensively. “The Guys,” however, had no such intimate knowledge. I then realized that this was an opportunity for me to share some old-time fun with my friends. I could run a campaign set in the era that produced Champions (the 1980s) and run the modules more or less in the order that they were published. While nostalgic for me, it would be fresh and new to my players.

1 comment:

Doc Savage said...

That is right up my alley, but why are the issue numbers in reverse chronological order?